Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Abandon by Meg Cabot

ABANDON:
Published: April 26, 2011
Publisher: Point
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 304 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Abandon, #1
First Line: "Anything can happen in the blink of an eye."

SHE KNOWS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DIE. NOW DEATH WANTS HER BACK.


Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.



ABANDON is another Hades and Peresphone re-telling. I’ve noticed more YA re-tellings of this myth nowadays: The Goddess Test, Everneath, etc. ABANDON was a great novel, but the flashbacks in the book were just too confusing.
I adored Meg Cabot’s writing style. She hooked me into the story on the first page, and I couldn’t set the book down. She made her characters seem realistic beyond belief. No wonder everybody loves Meg Cabot! I now have to read all of her books.
But Pierce, the main character, was a bit crazy and immature in somethings she would say. Some sentences didn’t flow well together because of Pierce’s dialogue, and that really turned me off from the story. I loved hearing about John the most. He is such an interesting and dark character, and it made me want to read more about him and his background. And Seth’s ego behind him made me cringe
And the flashbacks are just too confusing. I would be reading a part in the book that was present tense, and the next sentence would be a flashback. These flashbacks aren’t italicized, nor is there a break in the paragraph. This was my main issue with ABANDON.
But other than those two complaints, ABANDON was just epic. It was loaded with action-packed scenes, and the suspense in this novel was so crazy. One character in this book isn’t who they say they are, and when I found out who the character was, I was so shocked that I had to put the book down.

2 comments:

  1. It takes half the book for Pierce to finally confirm everything that happened two years ago, when she had her near-death experience and a pivotal encounter with John, a death deity who seems to be in charge of the Underworld. Pierce is an incredibly coy narrator: she hints at the same things/events REPEATEDLY - and there seems to be no reason why she doesn't expand on her thought right then and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how real minds work. Not everyone is Einstein and can expand every little thought they have to a full blown conclusion. Sorry you didn't enjoy the book but I L-O-V-E-D it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad