Monday, August 5, 2013

Brad About Books: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Read on July 11, 2013
CROWN OF MIDNIGHT
Expected Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format: ARC
Page Count: 417 pages
Source: ALA
Series: Throne of Glass, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, Throne of Glass.

Crown of Midnight is an electrifying, fantastic sequel that captured me immediately and never let me go. Sarah J. Maas is a stunning voice in fantasy. I'm not sure how she did it, but not only did she created a sequel that was better than its predecessor, she knocked it out of the ballpark. One of the best sequels I've ever read.

With sequels, there is sometimes the dreaded "Sequel Slump". Oh man, did that pass right over Crown of Midnight! While I loved Throne of Glass, the beginning was hard for me to get into because of the new world and complex character-building. And since I was adjusted to that, I had no problem whatsoever diving into Crown of Midnight. The action never stops in this book - whether it's with fighting and Celaena being an awesome, kick-butt protagonist, or tension-filled scenes that has the reader on the edge of their seat, you can't deny that Crown of Midnight is fantastic in every way possible. Filled with adventure and marvelous character development, Crown of Midnight shook me around and never let me go - luckily, I never wanted it to end.

One of my most favorite parts about this sequel was the character. Every single character develops and changes (sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better) in some way, and I adored that. Maas never skipped over a character and gave each character their own spotlight moment. Celaena has easily become one of my favorite protagonists of all-time; what's not to love about her?! She's an epic assassin, and she never lets anyone push her around. I didn't think we got to see a whole lot of Chaol in book one, but that was definitely remedied in Crown of Midnight. Chaol can be a tough, headstrong warrior and guard, but he also has times where he breaks down. And I really appreciated how he's not made out to be tough and fierce all the time, because he's not - Maas does an extraordinary job with her characters, and I give her a huge standing ovation for this marvelous and phenomenal second book.

That. Ending. Sarah J. Maas blew my mind with that ending - I'm still not over it! When I was nearing towards the end of Crown of Midnight, I had no idea how in the world it could possibly end. And my gosh, I did not expect that... and it was totally awesome! I think that was a very strong and smart ending, and I cannot wait to see where the story goes next. If you enjoyed Throne of Glass, you are going to fall head over heels in love with Crown of Midnight!

Overall, Crown of Midnight is a masterpiece amongst fantasy. Deeply rich and fantastically incredible, I absolutely adore this book!

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad