Saturday, May 12, 2012

Brad About Books: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

DEADLY COOL:
Published: October 11, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 303 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Hartley Featherstone #1
First Line: "There are three things you never want to find in a locker."

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren’t enough, now he’s depending on Hartley to clear his name. 

But as much as Hartley wouldn’t mind seeing him squirm, she knows he’s innocent, and she’s the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school’s resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer’s next victim.



Inside DEADLY COOL is a fun and light-hearted read, but with a killer twist (pun intended!) with a murdered going around high school and killing people.
Hartley Featherstone was a great character. She is almost like a modern day Nancy Drew. Gemma Halliday did her homework in finding out everything teenagers loves, whether it is iPods and earbuds, or the types of cars that teenagers drive. I was so impressed and fascinated with the way she created this story!
And let’s talk about her writing style. The writing style is almost too much like a teenager. The writing is a bit simple with bits and pieces of complex scenes thrown in at different parts of the story.
The killer stuff in DEADLY COOL was so cool. I have to say that I did guess correctly of who the killer is, but the climax leading up to when the killer is revealed was simply awesome. Gemma Halliday had me on the edge of my seat as I feared for our beloved protagonist.
But the ending of DEADLY COOL made me a little frustrated. It left me with so many questions. Hopefully those will be answered in the sequel.
Overall, DEADLY COOL was a fun book, but had its scary and frightening moments. Hartley Featherstone is the new Nancy Drew! 

M Y    R A T I N G:




1 comment:

  1. This book looks so awesome, although, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, but I think you have got me convinced :D

    Cathee from http://foreverlostinbooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad