Thursday, August 9, 2012

Brad About Books: Mara by Richard Denney

MARA
Published: April 28, 2012
Publisher: CreateSpace
Format: Kindle edition
Page Count: 52 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Read on: July 23, 2012

Mara, a high school dancer, begins to mentally unravel when she starts to hear a voice telling her to what to do and who to kill. In Richard Denney's fifth novel, Mara takes your mind for a ride and leaves you with an ending that you never will suspect. 

Richard Denney's newest novel, MARA, is such a crazy book. But in a good way. MARA has action, drama and an insane ending that left my mouth hanging open. 

The character of Mara actually made me mad, just because she was so critical on herself. And it actually was necessity that she was so hard on herself in the book; I just didn't like that she did it to herself. The names "Stupid, ugly and fat" pop up many times in MARA, but it does play sort of a major role in the novel.

And oh wow, THE VOICE. So. Creepy. Richard Denney's writing style for "the voice" in this novelette was just so awesome. He put scenes into this novel that made me shiver, made me feel sorrow, and made me check over my shoulder a time or two to make sure that Mara wasn't behind me. Seriously. It's that crazy.

Even though this novelette is so short, so much is packed between these pages. I appreciated how the author made every scene important and crucial to this story. I don't really like it when some books have "filler" chapters that aren't necessary to the book; I can always count on Richard Denney to make sure that that never happens in his books. Absolutely wonderful!

And that ending. I had to re-read that last page to make sure that I understood, because it was that weird. But again, it was that good type of weird. The whole scene was just plain out scary. I was on my seat the entire time.

Overall, if you want a book to mess with your mind, MARA is definitely the way to go. Richard Denney's newest novel is one not to miss! 

M Y    R A T I N G:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad