Thursday, September 27, 2012

Brad About Books: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

WHAT'S LEFT OF ME
Published: September 18, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 343 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: The Hybrid Chronicles, #1

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


WHAT'S LEFT OF ME is a wonderful  and great story, a very unique premise, and a well-rounded set of main characters that will make you root for them in any situation they are in. This book is spectacular!

Kat Zhang did a great job at crafting Eva and Addie, our main characters. They respect and love each other, but fight with each other sometimes, like all sisters do. And with the situation they're trapped in, I hoped that nothing bad would happen to them. But of course, everything goes down the drain.

The writing style just blew my mind. Zhang gave her characters such a marvelous voice; each character was depth and complex, and gosh, the dialogue and action that was given to them was just fantastic. I loved every inch of this story. 

Some more things that I loved about her writing style was the pieces that I found in this book. One piece was sorrow; I felt so sorry for Eva because of what's she going through, and with everything being thrown at her, it made me want to reach out to her even more. And another theme, and the biggest one, I found was hope. Hope is infused so much in this novel; hope for a better future, hope for a chance to live a life again, hope to stay alive. And I just found it amazing how much hope and sorrow was put into this book. Kat Zhang, you are a genius!

The action in WHAT'S LEFT OF ME was non-stop. I will admit that the first few pages were a slow going, but come on, it's the beginning. And when the action started, it never stopped. All havoc broke loose, and Kat didn't ever stop throwing more problems and action scenes at us. Greatness! WHAT'S LEFT OF ME is one of those books that is super hard to put down. I finished it in under 24 hours!

And before I wrap up this review, let me say this: IS THE AUTHOR TRYING TO EMOTIONALLY KILL ME FOR THE WAIT FOR BOOK TWO?! The ending of WHAT'S LEFT OF ME is just insane and totally terrific. The ending is where the action sky-rocketed, and I don't think I ever set the book down towards the end. Seriously, read this book!

Overall, WHAT'S LEFT OF ME is such a fantastic book! Make sure not to miss this book. WHAT'S LEFT OF ME is going places.

M Y    R A T  I N G:


2 comments:

  1. I have this one on my shelf and after reading your review I think I need to move it up my TBR pile. I love the sound of this even though I don't like the sound of the ending. I hate waiting for sequels. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK!

    So good! The writing style was fantastic and the world-building was just... ah. Totally agree with you on everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad