Monday, October 7, 2013

Brad About Books: Teardrop by Lauren Kate

Read on July 21, 2013
TEARDROP
Expected Publication Date: October 22, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Press (Random House)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 441 pages
Source: ALA
Series: Teardrop, #1


Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.


But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined. From Lauren Kate comes an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.


Teardrop is a sizzling, daring love story that consumed me and drained me with its gorgeous prose and haunting aurora - I fell so hard for this book.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect going into Teardrop. After I had turn the final page, I was completely blown away by this book. The characters, the relationship, the world-building, the secrets, the betrayal, everything about Teardrop worked for me on so many levels. I loved how Lauren Kate intertwined Atlantis with this excellently-done romance, and the way the two connected was beyond phenomenal. Haunting, electric, and deeply addictive, Teardrop is a fantastic novel of love, heartbreak, and dark secrets that will be brought to light; this novel shouldn't be missed.

Eureka was a great character. I love having the best of both worlds in a character, and Eureka definitely possesses that; she can be a great, kick-butt character at times, but then she can be a little dependent and not be comfortable with having the weight of the world on her shoulders. For some reason, this quality worked for Eureka for me. And Ander and Brooks were great male leads. They complemented and contrasted Eureka so well, and they played such dynamic and epic roles in Teardrop. Teardrop is a fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat worthy kind of read that I couldn't put down. If I wasn't reading the book, it was the only thing on my mind. Loved this book so much.

Anything with mythology in it, I'm good to go for it: how Lauren Kate took on Atlantis and spun it to her own was marvelous. Having magic racing through Eureka was a nice change-up, and I couldn't deny that Teardrop was completely irresistible. If you love books with a fantastic world-building, great writing, and a one of a kind story, Teardrop is for you. Dazzling and wonderful, Teardrop is a true gem.

Overall, Teardrop is an epic and vibrant novel that will have you turning pages as fast as you can. I was so wrapped up in this world, I couldn't get enough. I want the sequel pronto!

M Y   R A T I N G


2 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad