Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Isle of Night by Veronica Wolff

ISLE OF NIGHT:
Published: September 6, 2011
Publisher: NAL Trade
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 302 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: The Watchers, #1

Is life offering fewer and fewer options? Then join the dead. 

When Annelise meets dark and seductive Ronan, he promises her a new life-if she has the courage to chance the unknown. Now, she's whisked away to a mysterious island and pitted against other female recruits to become a Watcher-girls who are partnered with vampires and assist them in their missions. To survive and become a Watcher, Annelise has to beat out every other girl, but she's determined to do so, because to fail doesn't mean dishonor-it means death.





While ISLE OF NIGHT did have its moments, some parts honestly fell flat for me.

I have heard so much buzz about this book. So much, that it was being called a mixture of THE HUNGER GAMES and VAMPIRE ACADEMY. I knew I had to read this book right away. Some parts were epic and adventurous, but others didn't satisfy me.

I, like, loved Annelise. She's so strong, and with everything that she's been through, she always looks forward and is expecting the best of what the future holds. Veronica Wolff definitely made Annelise shine in this book. She has also crafted together other marvelous and wicked characters that made me want to read the book all night long.

Two words: Boarding. School. That's the key point that hooked me into the story. Anything that takes place in a boarding school, you can bet that I'll be reading it. Wolff made this boarding schools so visualize, that I would sometimes cringe when it would be brought up. Because lots of crazy stuff is happening inside this particular academy. Dark and twisted stuff.

But then those epic plot twists just magically faded sometimes. One chapter, I would be so into the story, that I never wanted to put it down. And then the next four would be lame and boring. Maybe ISLE OF NIGHT had too much action that made me expect all of that action to happen in every single chapter.

Overall, ISLE OF NIGHT is a good read with high climatic plot points, but also includes boring and eye-rolling scenes.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad