Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Brad About Books: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

ONYX
Published: August 14, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 356 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Lux, #2

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


Oh gosh, what can I say about ONYX? ONYX is simply a great book! Filled with character development, romance found in each chapter, and action like none other in YA novels. Jennifer L. Armentrout definitely dodged the sequel slump!

My favorite part of ONYX? All of the character growth that occurred in this novel. Especially Daemon's character; in OBSIDIAN, he was a jerk (but with reason), snarky and sarcastic, but in ONYX, he finally becomes a better person towards Katy. And Katy was even better! She became this kick-butt and tough character, no matter what the situation is. I loved how Armentrout put lots of effort into these characters!

The writing style in the Lux series is just so utterly captivating. When I picked up ONYX, I seriously couldn't stop reading! This series is just so addicting, and I'm dying in anticipation for OPAL! The way she describes (but it's not overly described) this world and her characters, it's one of the best writing styles I've ever read about. I must check out her other books! (I'm actually getting the Covenant series in November!)

THE ACTION IN THIS BOOK IS INSANE. So many fight scenes, so many kick-butt moments, and so much suspense were in ONYX! I sometimes felt like I was fighting alongside these characters (I seriously hope that doesn't sound creepy), and I could feel the suspense and drama radiating off the pages.

And you can't have a Lux novel without romance, right? I'm not the biggest fan of romance in novels (as long as it doesn't overshadow the plot, I'm all good), but somehow, Jennifer L. Armentrout makes the romance in this series seem believable and genuine. The love just flies off of these pages of excellence. I highly recommend that you give this series a shot!

The ending of ONYX was mind-blowing. Armentrout tortured me on the last page, because I knew I would have to wait a few months for OPAL to come out (but I am so happy OPAL comes out in less than two months!). And if you've read this book, you know exactly the thing that is revealed at the end.

*GASP*

Absolutely crazy! The author put a perfect blend of drama, action, romance, and a one of a kind spin on the YA paranormal romance market. She has one of the most original series in YA novels!

Overall, I loved ONYX even more than OBSIDIAN! Bring on the third book! So excited to see where the author takes this story next.

M Y    R A T I N G :


1 comment:

  1. I have heard nothing but amazing things for this series. I guess I better pick up a copy of Obsidian sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad