Saturday, December 31, 2011

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT: 
Published: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 256 pages
Source: Amazon.com

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it
.


"One of the funnest rides a book has ever taken me. One of the best contemporary romances I've ever read."


Jennifer E. Smith's THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT (try saying that five times fast) was a novel that was light and fun, but it also had the element that kept it on my mind and made me want to never put it down. Smith's writing style was vivid, beautiful, and so light, it was almost a privilege to read this novel!

This should be the worst day of Hadley's life. She's flying overseas to her father's -- and soon to be stepmother's, who she's never even met -- wedding. But then, she misses her flight by four minutes. While trying to catch the next flight to London, she meets Oliver while waiting. The relationship was almost like BAM! They talked a lot while waiting for 9:45 P.M. to come (the time that the next plane arrives). And usually, these types of situations depart themselves from one another. Except Hadley's in seat 18A. Oliver's in 18B. From there, their relationship takes off as they talk and instantly fall in love with one another. 


I know that this novel has the one turn-off that annoys the crap out everybody, including myself: insta-love. And believe me, there is insta-love in this novel. But for some reason, I didn't mind it. I guess that they way that Hadley and Oliver's situation came about and how they found true love inside of it made me not notice it. Their love was beautiful and true. And besides, they had conversations on the plane ride to London about the most random and quirkiest things ever, but it was just so much fun to be on their journey with them!


Our main characters, Hadley and Oliver, were excellent characters. I felt for Hadley when she had to go to her Dad's wedding in London to see her new step-mom that she's never even met. Then when Oliver came along, I was like YES. It was little bit awkward at first for him just to approach, I guess, but in the end, I was absolutely like YES. I loved their connection, their spark, and just their relationship in general. It was fantastic.


Overall, Jennifer E. Smith's newest novel THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT was a fantastic novel with a beautiful writing style, wonderful characters, and an ending that made me happy. It's just a wonderful  novel!




My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad