Friday, September 7, 2012

Brad About Books: Defiance by CJ Redwine

DEFIANCE
Published: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (Harper)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 403 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Defiance, #1

Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


I will admit that DEFIANCE was a bit slow for me for the first forty pages, but then BOOM, DEFIANCE hits a high mark and becomes one of my favorite fantasy novels I've ever read. CJ Redwine is an author to watch.

Rachel Adams: the kick-butt heroine that the YA market needs nowadays. Right from the very first page, I knew that the main protagonist would not be annoying, and would be strong, fierce and fearless; exactly what I like it characters. I just want to thank CJ Redwine for making such an awesome character!

And then we come to Logan, the love interest of DEFIANCE. Do you know what's the cool thing about the chemistry between Logan and Rachel? It doesn't overshadow the plot. And Logan was actually a really good character as well! He was strong and very intelligent with every thing he does. And then we come to the wicked Commander, who is seriously one of the best antagonists I've read in 2012. Not only is his mind set to take over anything that isn't in his power already, but he also is sneaky and clever, making sure nobody knows where he is. Even though we're suppose to hate him with a passion, I really enjoyed reading about him; he's just so mean, it's sometimes enjoyable.

And this plot. Original. Unique. Fresh. EPIC. That sums up the plot. The first forty pages were pretty slow, but after we hit that page count, the action, pace, plot and romance just sky-rockets. I was sucked into this story and it made me not want to set the book down. Any. And with all the crazy action scenes featuring the Cursed One, the Commander, and just Rachel and Logan, I couldn't hold myself back from flipping those pages.

*cough cough* THE CURSED ONE. Such a cool beast! CJ Redwine describes its terror and destruction it causes so vividly, I could see everything happening in my head. The Cursed One was definitely one of my favorite parts of DEFIANCE.

And gosh, those last 100 pages. Fantastic epicness were filled into those final 100 pages, and I couldn't contain myself from flipping those pages. And I just have one message: BOOK TWO, PLEASE COME SOONER. Seriously, I think CJ Redwine is trying to emotionally kill me on the wait for the sequel to DEFIANCE. Need it now.

I think I could go on even longer for my feelings for the incredible DEFIANCE. Even though the beginning had its slow patches here and there, DEFIANCE is definitely not one to miss. CJ Redwine has went up on my top list for fantasy authors! 

M Y    R A T I N G:


1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the trailer? It's amazing.

    And I loved this book as well! So good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad