Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Brad About Books: This Strange and Familiar Place by Rachel Carter

Read on July 21, 2013
THIS STRANGE AND FAMILIAR PLACE
Published: July 2, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 264 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: So Close to You, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, So Close to You

This Strange and Familiar Place is a very nice sequel, however, I felt that it was lacking in progressing the story along in certain parts of the plot. Though I had this problem with this sequel, it was still entertaining. 

I'll start with what I did enjoy about This Strange and Familiar Place: more questions appear and the stakes are raised to a new notch. Book one set up the whole conspiracy theory, but book two plays on it and evolves it into something so much bigger than what the reader - and Lydia, the protagonist - ever imagined it to be. When there's an action scene in This Strange and Familiar Place, you're in for a wild ride that will have you glued to the edge of your seat.

But my problem with This Strange and Familiar Place was the parts that weren't action-filled, and unfortuantely, there's quite a lot of them. Even though the book clocks in at just a little over 250 pages, the story feels very dragged out over parts - and the middle of the book felt filler, in my opinion. Nothing evolved from the plot in the middle, and I didn't find anything that pushed the storyline further. I am happy, though, that the ending of This Strange and Familiar Place saved the book for me. It was fast-paced, and there were things that really made my jaw drop. I just wish that there were more scenes like that consistently throughout the sequel. The ending did set up a very nice overview to the conclusion of the series, so I will definitely be checking out book three, Find Me Where the Water Ends

My favorite part about This Strange and Familiar Place has to be Lydia's character development. In So Close to You, she was very naïve to everything around her, but in This Strange and Familiar Place, she knows what she needs to do to take charge, and I really appreciated her character development. Carter did an exceptional job at building up Lydia's character, and I adored how she wasn't afraid to break her down. While This Strange and Familiar Place was just okay for me, it still grabbed me like book one did. I can't wait to find out how everything wraps up!

Overall, This Strange and Familiar Place is a pretty good sequel with a slow middle chunk but an ending that makes up for it.

M Y    R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad