Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Author Interview: K.M. Walton, author of Cracked

Today, I have with me K. M. Walton, author of CRACKED!


Let's begin the interview!

One: What did you know first while writing CRACKED: the characters or the story?

A: The characters. I knew I wanted to write a book that alternated back and forth between perspectives, so I had to develop them both before writing a single word.

Two: If you could choose any author to write a book with, who would it be and why?

A: I’d say John Green, because the dude is a genius.

Three: What made you want to write a book about bullying and suicide?

A: I spent twelve years as a teacher, ten of them teaching middle school language arts. Anti-bullying was always my number one focus – either underlying or the focus of the unit. I also ran a summer day camp called Camp Kindness, and the campers spent the week learning about tolerance, empathy, volunteering, donating and kindness. Anti-bullying is part of my DNA.

Four: Which character do you prefer to write about: Victor or Bull?

A: Oooh, that’s like asking a mother which child she loves more! Honestly though, I loved writing in both boys’ voices. They became living, breathing human beings to me.

Five: When did you first start writing CRACKED?

A: I started in the spring of 2008 and never looked back.

Six: Can you give us your description of how you acted when you found out that your book would be published?

A: Shock. Overwhelming joy. Lots of screaming. Tears. Tight hugs from my two sons and husband.

Seven: What author influences you in writing?

A: I’m a huge fan of A. S. King, Libba Bray, John Green, Lev Grossman, Sherman Alexie, Ransom Riggs, Jennifer Donnelly, and J. K. Rowling.

Eight: Do you love or hate the editing process?

A: Even though it is a hard process, I love editing and revising. Getting feedback from my critique partners and editor, and doing the work associated with revision, always makes the book better. I’m a big fan of better.

Nine: Describe your book in one sentence.

A: Two sixteen-year-old boys—one the bully, one the victim—both endure abuse at home and end up in the same psych ward…in the same room.

Ten: Do you have any other book ideas planned?

A: I just completed the first round of revisions on my second novel about an overweight teenaged girl, whose life spirals out of control after being bullied and abused. It doesn’t have a title yet, but it releases from Simon Pulse in the Spring of 2013.

Thank you very much for hosting me today, Brad!


Be sure to read K. M. Walton's wonderful debut CRACKED!

Click here to go to this book's Goodreads page!
Click here to order this book on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad