Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Book Review: Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

BITTERSWEET:
Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 378 pages
Source: Amazon.com

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been. 
So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done. It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done. It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...


I have never read a Sarah Ockler book! So when I decided to pick up Bittersweet, I didn't know what direction it would take me in. But when I finished this one, I thought that it was great!

First, the characters. I think that this is the downfall of the story for me. I felt that Hudson was in a state of denial for a good chunk of the first half of the book. I can understand why she might be due to what happened in the prologue of the book, but I just didn't like her negative mood towards some things. And don't get me wrong, she wasn't always negative either. We also have great characters in the story that Sarah Ockler has crafted brilliantly together and weaved in and out through the story. 

Next, the writing style. This was probably my favorite part of the entire story. Sarah Ockler's voice in Bittersweet was just really great to read. The story always kept my interest, and the pacing was just awesome. I'm now going to have to check out Sarah Ockler's other two novels!

Finally, we have the the two most interesting-driven plot points: ice skating and Hurley's. I've always thought that ice skating seemed really fun, and so when it was incorporated in the story, I loved reading about it. And here comes another one of my favorite things about Bittersweet: Hurley's diner. Diner's just seemed really classic to me, and when that was brought in the story. I was sort of like: YES! 

Overall, Bittersweet was a light read that really showed a great look on love and forgiving. 

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad