Monday, April 2, 2012

Gone by Michael Grant

GONE:
Published: June 24, 2008
Publisher: Harper Teen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 558 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Gone, #1


In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.
Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...
This is the way the world ends.
GONE is a gripping and enticing novel that brought me into the story head first, shook me around, and left me hanging on one of the biggest cliffhangers I have ever read.


Michael Grant is a utter genius. I read BZRK by him in early March and loved it. His writing style is a captivating writing style that makes me crave reading it. His creative story ideas contain action and suspense, and GONE is one of the most original books I’ve ever read. Brilliance is what this book is.
The characters are so realistic. Sam is one of those characters that you’re excited to root for. You cheer him on while he goes throughout this crazy life inside the dome of the FAYZ. And Caine is so wicked and despicable, you want to throw him off a cliff. Yeah. It’s that bad.
And let’s just talk about the FAYZ for a moment. Craziness and darkness lurk inside this enormous dome. The bullies rule and all the kids of Perdido Beach are always in a constant state of fear. Grant can describe any scene perfectly and always makes me want to know what will happen next. 
And the suspension in this story is just pure awesomeness. I would cringe anytime something happened to one of our beloved characters, and Michael Grant always kept me on the edge of my seat. But I felt that the ending of GONE was really cliche. Ever since page 300, they had been planning this huge thing, and then they just drop it like it's nothing in the end. That was the part that made me super upset about GONE.
Overall, GONE is action-packed with a master novelist telling the story. I highly recommend you go pick this up!

MY RATING:






1 comment:

  1. I remember trying to read this book a few years ago, and I gave up on it. Then again, that same thing happened with City of Bones, and I'm in love with that book! So I'm thinking I might try this book again. The characters seem really relatable, and I love characters like that! Thank you for the review, I think I'm going to give this book another shot!

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad