Friday, December 14, 2012

Brad About Books: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

SHADES OF EARTH
Expected Publication Date: January 15, 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: ARC
Page Count: 369 pages
Source: Publisher
Series: Across the Universe, #3

Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceshipGodspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.

FUELED BY LIES. RULED BY CHAOS. ALMOST HOME.

WOW. One word: WOW. Beth Revis never disappoints with her novels, and SHADES OF EARTH was one of the best conclusions to a series I have read. Props to Beth for making such an amazing, wonderful and epic trilogy! I'm going to miss these characters.

First off, I should say that SHADES OF EARTH begins with a bang; the action begs right away and never stops. Crash landing is all that comes about Amy and Elder's mission that they have worked towards, and I think the synopsis puts it best: Almost home. But do you remember Orion? The crazy dude from the first book? All I will say is that he may have not been so crazy after all...

Beth Revis's writing style is just incredible, with all of her novels. Right away, I was hooked and sucked back into the story along with these characters that I dearly love. I felt like I was walking around, exploring this unfamiliar and new world with these characters, and I love it that Beth Revis managed to make me feel that way in each of her books.

Speaking of new world, can I just say that the world-building in this book was excellent? The atmosphere and all of the creatures in SHADES OF EARTH terrified me, as well as intrigued me. Gosh, why can't Hollywood finally jump on the AtU trilogy so I can see this world for myself? The author did a wonderful and fantastic job at creating and explaining the world to the reader, and all of the secrets and betrayals that occurred in this new world was brilliant.

Also, there are SO many secrets that are revealed in SHADES OF EARTH. It is insane, yet epic at the same time. Everything that we learned that was being kept a secret from us is brought to light in this book, and when you find out what they are, your jaw will fall open.

And that ending? HA HA HA HA WHAT WAS THAT?!  I think Beth Revis was trying to kill us ALL with that ending. I will definitely not spoil it for you, but guys, there are so many turns and surprises in SHADES OF EARTH and you will not see this ending coming.

Overall, SHADES OF EARTH is one of the best finales I have ever read about -- it's also my favorite in this trilogy. Beth Revis, thank you for making this great series. I'm so sad to see it go.

M Y   R A T I N G :


2 comments:

  1. I want to read this so so so so bad. Thank you for sharing your review. I would recommend Darren Shan's books. I loved the Cirque Du Freak! It was a really great read!

    regards,
    marlene of Rockaway Beach OR Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god I LOOOVE your review so much!! You make this book sound amazing! I'm literally just about to start reading it!

    Marlene Detierro (Houston Search Engine Optimization)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad