Thursday, May 9, 2013

Brad About Books: So Close to You by Rachel Carter

Read on May 1, 2013
SO CLOSE TO YOU
Published: July 10, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 313 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: So Close to You, #1

Lydia Bentley has heard stories about the Montauk Project all her life: stories about the strange things that took place at the abandoned military base near her home and the people who've disappeared over the years. Stories about people like her own great-grandfather.

When Lydia stumbles into a portal that transports her to a dangerous and strange new reality, she discovers that all the stories she's ever heard about the Montauk Project are true, and that she's in the middle of one of the most dangerous experiments in history.

Alongside a darkly mysterious boy she is wary to trust, Lydia begins to unravel the secrets surrounding the Project. But the truths behind these secrets force her to question all her choices—and if Lydia chooses wrong, she might not save her family but destroy them... and herself.



So Close to You is a captivating read! One of the most originals novels I've read in a long time.

Historical fiction with time travel... yes please. I wasn't sure how I felt about So Close to You in the first few pages - but after page 40, things got interesting. And by interesting, I mean our protagonist, Lydia, is thrown back in time to the 1940's. Which is awesome. In this time, everyone is going crazy about World War II, and I loved how it was explored upon. The feelings, the emotions, the heartbreak; Rachel Carter did a fantastic job at incorporating all those elements into a fast-paced and unique story. 

Speaking of characters, I adored Lydia! I actually wasn't a fan of her in the beginning, but she grows and develops as So Close to You progresses. She became strong and tough, and she's definitely a standout in characters I've read about! And Wes, Dean, practically everybody was great in their own way. I love it when I get connected to not only the protagonist, but the ensemble as well - and I did very much so in So Close to You.

That ending was crazy! Thrilling endings are my cup of tea, and man, So Close to You is insane! I tore through those final 50 pages like it was nothing. It was so engrossing and enticing - I couldn't set the book down, and when I would, it was the only thing on my mind. Excellent time travel at its best!

Overall, there are no words for how great So Close to You. I was a bit wary in the beginning, but the middle and ending were epic! This book glows from its complex plot down to its marvelous. Carter is an author to watch!

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad