Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Brad About Books: Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Read on June 21, 2013
FURY
Published: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse (Simon & Schuster)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 370 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Fury, #1

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better—the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.


Sometimes sorry isn't enough.

I have no idea why this book and I didn't click. While Fury brought a unique plot and an outstanding premise to the table, it didn't deliver for me. I guess this book just wasn't for me.

Oh my gosh, this book sounded awesome. And the crazy thing? It was awesome! But unfortunately, the keyword is was. I was really loving the first 75 pages of this book - they set up the suspense and world so nicely, and I was excited to see where the story would go next. That's the thing though: it didn't go anywhere. After page 150, I noticed that nothing was pushing the plot along. It was staying still and repeating the same techniques, and I just wasn't a fan of that. The first 75 pages were epic, but the book went downhill after that for me.

Greek myth re-tellings are great in my book. They're actually one of my favorite genres to read about. But never had I read a book about the Furies (directly about the Furies, anyway), so I was very eager to see how they would be handled in Fury. And the actual Furies were very interesting! They're deceptive and a bit disturbed, but Miles created them to be such twisted and awesome characters. And I did enjoy some other characters! Em was a great protagonist (I connected to her right away), but I can't say the same about Chase. He was too whiny and oblivious for me to like.

Even though I've had a month to decide why I didn't enjoy this book, I still can't come up with a clear answer. Was it the pacing? The characters? Certain scenes that gave me chill bumps, and not in a good way? I can't decide. I just know that this wasn't the book for me. I might be for you! Who knows. I wish I could've liked it better, though. I really, really do.

Overall, Fury disappointed me on major levels. Though the plot sounded epic and I knew it was destined to be a great book, it didn't live up to my expectations.

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad