Thursday, July 25, 2013

Brad About Books: Starry Nights by Daisy Whitney

Read on July 13, 2013
STARRY NIGHTS
Expected Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format: ARC
Page Count: 288 pages
Source: ALA

Seventeen-year-old Julien is a romantic—he loves spending his free time at the museum poring over the great works of the Impressionists. But one night, a peach falls out of a Cezanne, Degas ballerinas dance across the floor, and Julien is not hallucinating.

The art is reacting to a curse that trapped a beautiful girl, Clio, in a painting forever. Julien has a chance to free Clio and he can't help but fall in love with her. But love is a curse in its own right. And soon paintings begin to bleed and disappear. Together Julien and Clio must save the world's greatest art . . . at the expense of the greatest love they've ever known.

Like a master painter herself, Daisy Whitney brings inordinate talent and ingenuity to this romantic, suspenseful, and sophisticated new novel.A beautifully decorated package makes it a must-own in print.


Starry Nights is whimsical, magical read that had me completely enthralled and utterly captivated. Such a fun read!

I'll start with what I did enjoy about Starry Nights: the atmosphere of Paris was perfectly captured. I felt like I was walking around the galleries with Julien and Clio, and I could see the City of Light in my head so clearly. And for that, I applaud Whitney! The world was so beautiful, and it makes me want to go visit Paris! I'm not a good drawer/painter whatsoever, so it was nice to read about an artist! Julien is laid back and is never caught up with his emotions - he's just a mellow, cool character. And Clio was so great! She's spent her life all alone, but when she meets Julien, she becomes invincible. The characters are so diverse and wholly unique - it's one of the many reasons why I enjoyed Starry Nights!

But I have to be honest when I say that not everything settled well with me with this book. While I did enjoy the majority of it, a few things ticked at my brain. The first would have to be saving the art - I found some of the problems and dilemmas to be a bit repetitive, and I would get sucked out of the book at times. Luckily, Julien and Clio brought me back into the story easily, but still, it was a bit redundant. And I was never quite sure if I totally understood Clio's character: was she just a love interest or was she something more to Julien? Something that would change his life? I couldn't ever tell, and though I did like Clio's character, she wasn't my favorite part of Starry Nights.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy this book - I truly did! I think I set my expectations a tad bit high for this one, and not all of them were met. If you're looking for a great summer read with an amazing atmosphere, gorgeous writing, and a romance written in the stars like none other, Starry Nights is the book for you!

Overall, Starry Nights is fun read that will have readers falling for these characters and begging for more.

M Y    R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad