Saturday, July 27, 2013

Brad About Books: This Side of Jealousy by Lili Peloquin

Read on July 23, 2013
THIS SIDE OF JEALOUSY
Expected Publication Date: August 20, 2013
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 288 pages
Source: Arcycling
Series: The Innocents, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, The Innocents.

This Side of Jealousy is a stunning sequel that gives off the perfect vibe for not only summer, but an intriguing mystery. For fans of Revenge and Pretty Little Liars  - this sequel delivers!

I loved The Innocents so much, and I was definitely excited to jump back into the world of Serenity Point! This seaside town offers so many secrets; it's impossible to put these books down. I tore through these pages, desperate to know what would happen to these sisters. And these sisters have been through it all. Lili Peloquin balanced each sister's personality so well. We have Alice, the quiet and reserved one, and Charlie, the outgoing and wild sister - and since this series switches POVs, I could see how it would be hard to get jumbled up with this duo. But Peloquin veers away from the norm and wove Charlie and Alice together so uniquely and great. This just added to my ever growing list of why I love these books!

Serenity Point is a place I'd love to visit! Its residents harbor many dark and sinister secrets, and many secrets get brought to light in This Side of Jealousy. Sequels can be tricky - you can either build upon the world and make an even more interesting story, or you can stay flat and keep with the same world and characters, not developing them or pushing them forward. Luckily, This Side of Jealousy built upon not only the world, but the characters. Peloquin built the characters in The Innocents, and in the second novel, she broke them and tore them down. Which is awesome! More problems for Alice and Charlie arise, and this sequel doesn't feel forced or slow. So, so great. The perfect summer read!

And it's so easy to get invested into these novels - I sure have. The Innocents series is highly addictive, massively engaging, and overall, a one of a kind revenge story. But I love how revenge isn't the total feel for this series - there are many tones and undertones: romance, family, friendship. They all play a major part in this series, and when combined, they make for an awesome story. Needless to say, I loved This Side of Jealousy so much!

Overall, This Side of Jealousy is a marvelous sequel that gripped me, enticed me, and never let me go. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series takes us!

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad