Thursday, October 17, 2013

Brad About Books: 3:59 by Gretchen McNeil

Read on June 17, 2013
3:59
Published: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (Harper)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 368 pages
Source: RAK


Josie Byrne's life is spiraling out of control. Her parents are divorcing, her boyfriend Nick has grown distant, and her physics teacher has it in for her. When she's betrayed by the two people she trusts most, Josie thinks things can't get worse.



Until she starts having dreams about a girl named Jo. Every night at the same time—3:59 a.m.

Jo's life is everything Josie wants: she's popular, her parents are happily married, and Nick adores her. It all seems real, but they're just dreams, right? Josie thinks so, until she wakes one night to a shadowy image of herself in the bedroom mirror – Jo. 

Josie and Jo realize that they are doppelgängers living in parallel universes that overlap every twelve hours at exactly 3:59. Fascinated by Jo's perfect world, Josie jumps at the chance to jump through the portal and switch places for a day.

But Jo’s world is far from perfect. Not only is Nick not Jo's boyfriend, he hates her. Jo's mom is missing, possibly insane. And at night, shadowy creatures feed on human flesh.

By the end of the day, Josie is desperate to return to her own life. But there’s a problem: Jo has sealed the portal, trapping Josie in this dangerous world. Can she figure out a way home before it’s too late?

From master of suspense Gretchen McNeil comes a riveting and deliciously eerie story about the lives we wish we had – and how they just might kill you.


3:59 is a spine-tingling, chilling read that shook me to the bone and had me so wrapped up in this world. Gretchen McNeil has created another supernatural masterpiece - one that sets the bar high and can't be topped. I fell in love with this book so hard.

Gretchen McNeil has written some of my favorite books of all time: they're always spooky and haunting, and I just can't get enough of them. 3:59 was no exception to McNeil's incredible storytelling. Everything about 3:59 will send chills down your spine and have you looking over your shoulder. The best thing about McNeil's novels is how all of them are so original: Possess has demons and exterminating them, Ten is a creeptastic murder mystery that kept me up all night, and 3:59 is parallel worlds and the danger of how looks can be deceiving. Gretchen McNeil's novels are the perfect creepy readers, and I highly recommend them all. 3:59 is so fantastic. I've never seen a novel like this before, and the way that McNeil tied in the worlds and brought in deception was mind-blowing. Chilling and eerie, 3:59 is a read that kept me up late at night, turning pages as fast as I could. Absolutely loved this book.

I love to compare and contrast in books, and 3:59 has some great examples. The balance between Josie and Jo is incredible - they are similar in traits, but at the end of the day, they are far from similar. They each want different things and are willing to use lethal tactics in order to succeed in them. I adored how Gretchen McNeil tied Josie and Jo together but gave them different outlooks on life; everything about these two characters were phenomenal. I love a good world-building structure in a novel, and woah, 3:59 has brilliant world-building. Josie's world is crumbling all around her - sorrow and danger is everywhere she turns. Jo's world is literally crumbling at the seams. The shadowy creatures that eat human flesh in the night scared me and rocked me to my core, and Jo's world is absolutely consuming and reckless. If you love a story that will leave a mark on you long after you turn the final page, then 3:59 is the book for you.

That ending! All the feels! With a Gretchen McNeil novel, I can always count on a shocking ending, and I totally got that with 3:59. There were so many plot twists in 3:59 that I didn't see coming, and one scene in particular made me jump out of my seat. I was always on the edge of my seat during this supernatural masterpiece, and I adored this book so much. Highly, highly recommended!

Overall, 3:59 is an addictive, absorbing novel that shouldn't be missed. Thrilling and masterfully done, 3:59 is a true gem.

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad