Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Brad About Books: Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund

Read on July 18, 2013
ACROSS A STAR-SWEPT SEA
Expected Publication Date: October 15, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (Harper)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 464 pages
Source: ALA
Series: Stars, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, For Darkness Shows the Stars.

Beginning to describe my love for this series is indescribably impossible. Across a Star-Swept Sea is  a beautiful and marvelous sequel that definitely proves Peterfreund's fantastic writing style and amazing plot. Across a Star-Swept Sea is one of my new favorite books, hands down.

The compare and contrast of For Darkness Shows the Stars and Across a Star-Swept Sea is incredible: in book one, the world was ruined, and two lovers are trying to make their way around the wasteland. But in Across a Star-Swept Sea, the tables have turned, and we get to see a whole new perspective world - and I loved that so much! Diana Peterfreund did a phenomenal job with both building upon the preexisting world and showing a new side of this dark land. Persis is a deceptive, defiant, and all-around awesome protagonist; everything about Persis is interesting and awesome, while chilling at the same time. I loved the idea of Persis being the spark to a raging war - Persis is, simply put, one of the most stunning characters I've read about in a long time. And Justen was equally as great! Justen and Persis should be forbidden to fall in love, but when they come together, they're unstoppable. The character development in Across a Star-Swept Sea is truly one of a kind; I fell so hard for this book. 

I was already aware that Peterfreund had an exceptional writing style when I read For Darkness Shows the Stars, but Across a Star-Swept Sea knocked it out of the ballpark. The way Diana Peterfreund can craft a string of words together and make the world come to life is remarkable. It emerges you into the story so quickly, and I never wanted this novel to end. If you enjoyed book one, prepare to be blown away by this sequel. 

Deception. Betrayal. Second chances. Across a Star-Swept Sea incorporates all of these and blends them together for a nice, brilliant theme. I was always on the edge of my seat, turning pages rapidly. So many things of Across a Star-Swept Sea will have your stomach up in your throat and have your heart soaring for Persis and Justen's impossible romance. With a fantastic protagonist and incredible writing, Across a Star-Swept Sea is a masterpiece of love, defiance, and the choice of becoming who you are.

Overall, Across a Star-Swept Sea is easily one of my favorite books of the year... and of all time. Fantastically incredible, Across a Star-Swept Sea shouldn't be missed - amazing!

M Y    R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad