Sunday, October 6, 2013

Brad About Books: The Brokenhearted by Amelia Kahaney

Read on July 21, 2013
THE BROKENHEARTED
Expected Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Page Count: 336 pages
Source: ALA

MY HEART STOPPED. MY LIFE STARTED.


A teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and must balance her old life with the dark secret of who she has become.


Prima ballerina Anthem Fleet is closely guarded by her parents in their penthouse apartment. But when she meets the handsome Gavin at a party on the wrong side of town, she is immediately drawn into his dangerous world. Then, in a tragic accident, Anthem falls to her death. She awakes in an underground lab, with a bionic heart ticking in her chest. As she navigates her new life, she uncovers the sinister truth behind those she trusted the most, and the chilling secret of her family lineage…and her duty to uphold it.

The Dark Knight meets Cinder in this gripping and cinematic story of heartbreak and revenge. From Alloy Entertainment, this inventive new superhero story is sure to captivate any reader.



Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...


The Brokenhearted is a phenomenal novel that is equally unique and epic. I have never read a story like this masterful one, and I adored every single minute of The Brokenhearted.

The Dark Knight meets Cinder. A girl receives a bionic heart - one that makes her like a superhero - that is counting down like warfare. What more do you need to hear to convince you to read The Brokenhearted?! I was so excited to dive into this novel - luckily, all of my expectations were met. I expected a highly addictive and epic story that would grab me at the beginning and make me feel entwined with this world, and thankfully, The Brokenhearted did just that for me. I don't think I've ever read a "superhero" type of story, but I was so pleasantly surprised to see just how fantastic The Brokenhearted was. I truly loved every thing about this book. Definitely a new favorite read of mine.

The world-building was stunning. Chicago is now a dark, hollow place, and it's up to Anthem Fleet to stop the sinister forces determined to take everyone down. Betrayal is such an awesome topic in YA books, and betrayal basically revolves around The Brokenhearted. As Anthem uncovers the truth about her family, she's thrust deeper into darkness and evil, but with her bionic heart, she's unstoppable. Anthem is such an amazing character. Sure, she's naïve at first (who wouldn't be when you're a cyborg suddenly?), but as The Brokenhearted progresses, Anthem evolves and becomes such a fierce, epic protagonist that is willing to take on anything. The Brokenhearted as one of the best world-building and character-developments I've seen in a young adult book in a long time.

That ending! Thrilling! Action-packed! Biting-your-nails worthy! I zoomed through the final 100 pages of The Brokenhearted. Kahaney spun a plot twist on the ending that made me so absorbed and caught up in the pages, but I couldn't stop turning the pages and emerging myself farther into the story. But that ending! Please tell me there's a sequel; I need more of this world. The Brokenhearted is easily one of my favorite books of the year.

Overall, The Brokenhearted is a dazzling, marvelous novel that is sure to be a mega hit. For fans of Revenge and Revolution 19, The Brokenhearted will captivate you and consume you!

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad