Thursday, June 6, 2013

Brad About Books: The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

Read from April 18 to 19, 2013
THE COMPOUND
Published: April 29, 2008
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 248 pages
Source: Library
Series: Compound, #1

Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they've become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy.

For Eli, no amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place, with only his two sisters, his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day. 

As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary—and their sanity—Eli can't help but wonder if he'd rather take his chances outside. 

Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe—or sorry?



The Compound is a thrilling, one of a kind read that is one of the most original and climatic books I have ever read. Bodeen has weaved out such an epic story; one that I could not and would not put down!

I've read plenty of post-apocalytpic novels, but never one quite like The Compound. The world outside is destroyed, and Eli's father is keeping his family safe deep within a Compound that will save them for the next twenty years. Flash forward six years and we're still stuck in the Compound. I can't even begin to tell you how awesome this book is. It's definitely a nail-biting read, because I had no clue what in the world would happen! There's so much suspense, mystery and eerie-goodness spreading around this book like wildfire; it's contagious! This book is a true gem.

And the characters are just amazing. From Eli, to Eli's sweet mother, to Eli's possibly insane father, all the characters in this book shine out. Whenever you're trapped within a closed space for so long, you're going to start seeing different sides of people - and in The Compound, the characters have multiple layers of emotions and true feelings. It's haunting and disturbing at times, yet so great and refreshing to see that all the ensemble of characters are fantastic. And Eli's father is, like, the perfect villain. The reader is never quite positive if he's insane or not, or if he's doing the right thing for his family. The Compound is a mind-bending and twisted read that can only be described in one word: epic. 

And woah. Woah. Let's just all take a calm, deep breath and let the awesome and craziness of an ending sink in. That was just AWESOME! I zoomed through those final 50 pages - this book is too good to put down. S.A. Bodeen's The Compound is a book that kept me up late at night, flying through these pages to figure out what would happen next!

Overall, The Compound shines out among other post-apocalytpic books. Marvelous and clever, The Compound is unlike anything I have read or anything I will ever read. Brilliant.

M Y    R A T I N G :

Keep an eye out for my review to the sequel, The Fallout, in September!

2 comments:

  1. This book looks fantastic - I'll definitely have to get it! Great review!

    <3 Emmie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a post-apocalyptic read that's not the same as everything, actually! Not to mention that I get to meet this author next month. ;) So I think I'll have to give The Compound a try. From all the heart-pounding action to the wonderful characterization, I don't see a way that I wouldn't enjoy this book.

    Fabulous review, Brad! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad