Friday, June 28, 2013

Brad About Books: Venom by Fiona Paul

Read from May 11 to 12, 2013
VENOM
Published: October 30, 2012
Publisher: Philomel (Penguin)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 435 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1

Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancé, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancé, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.



Venom is a vivid and lush story that had me so emerged into the beautiful and haunting backdrop of Venice, that I never wanted to leave. Fiona Paul is an awesome new voice in YA! Love!

The thing that made me want to pick up Venom first was the setting of Venice. I, personally, have never been to Venice, but I am SO intrigued by it! I mean, water everywhere, you have to take canals, and just Italy! Yes! Add a murder mystery in there and a very unique and cool twist, and what do we get? The awesomeness that is Venom. The twists and turns that this novel takes are incredible. I was actually shocked by some events that happened - I love it when a book pushes some limits and doesn't hold back. It's one of the many reasons why Venom is such a wonderful book!

And the characters... don't even get me started. I loved Cassandra right from the first page, and she never let me down. I have to admit that during some mystery novels, the girl is so naïve and completely oblivious to everything surrounding her. Thankfully, Cassandra isn't like that whatsoever. She's strong, fierce, and dauntless. She's a new favorite protagonist for me! And Falco was just as great. I can't wait to see what Paul throws at us in Belladonna and Starling!

Like I said in a previous review, I'm not a huge fan of historical novel, but Venom is a definite historical favorite. I will admit, it was a slow build-up in the beginning, but once we hit the fifty page mark, it takes off like a bullet. It's just so... I'm honestly speechless. It's beautiful, it's mind-bending, and the tension and suspense will keep you up all night, turning pages to figure out who is committing these murders. Woah, I can't even handle how awesome this book was.

Overall, if you're looking for an intriguing and phenomenal historical, Venom is the champion. Eerie, chilling, and absolutely absorbing, Venom is a fresh and brilliant new hit!

M Y    R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad