Monday, June 3, 2013

Brad About Books: Eve by Anna Carey

Read on April 13, 2013
EVE
Published: October 4, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 318 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Eve, #1

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose--and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve's timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.



Eve is a highly-explosive, pulse-pounding dystopian read with excellent world-building and action-sizzling scenes. A wonderful debut!

The world-building was fantastic. I loved getting to explore this New America with our runaway protagonist; this new world was terrifying and haunting. Everything seemed to be broken... and I loved that! Most dystopians have an overbearing government, but government is really the problem in Eve. All of this world is awful. People afraid of each other, rebels attacking - it would be a scary place to live in! And I love that Carey didn't shy away from the frightening aspect. 

Eve is a great main character. I loved being inside her head and exploring this unknown territory with her. Yes, she could be naïve at times, and yes, she could be a bit overdramatic, but I still loved her! I thought that she insightful and riveting! If I had to choose a character to journey New America with, I would have chosen Eve. I just simply love her character.

And the twists this book takes! There are some things I saw coming, but for the majority, I didn't see a bunch of these turns and twists coming! Again, Anna Carey didn't shy away from making scenes awfully tragic, and I adore that! I can't wait to see what she writes next. That ending was very fast-paced and energetic - I couldn't help myself but tear through those pages!

Overall, if you're craving more dystopia in your life, Eve is the book for you. Wonderfully plotted and building with tension, Eve soars and never comes down.

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad