Thursday, June 20, 2013

Brad About Books: A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

Read on May 18, 2013
A BEAUTIFUL DARK
Published: September 27, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 390 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Beautiful, #1

On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.



A Beautiful Dark is a haunting and dynamic read filled with love, suspense, and the perfect balance of action. A riveting debut!

First, I want to pinpoint what I believe is the best part about A Beautiful Dark - I absolutely adored the characters and the whole world of that Asher and Devin are apart of it! This is, honestly, one of the best paranormal books I've ever read (definitely one of the best angel books!). The world-building is just so original and captivating. It's nearly impossible - it was definitely impossible for me - to put this book down. It's so addictive! I wanted to explore this frighteningly dark and mysterious world that Davies masterfully wove together. Gorgeous!

Now, I did have a slight problem with A Beautiful Dark. I had actually tried to reading this book back in 2012, but I couldn't get into it due to the slow beginning - and I almost had that problem this time around. But luckily, I got through the slow (and a bit confusing) beginning - once you get past page 50, A Beautiful Dark takes off and soars like there's no tomorrow. If you're needing a paranormal romance read that will have you craving for more and have you on the edge of your seat, look no further, because A Beautiful Dark is the perfect choice!

That. Cliffhanger. Loads of cliffhangers are executed very well, with a shocking twist of events that makes your mouth fall open and having you turning pages, wondering if your copy is missing some pages (unfortunately, it rarely ever is). I can happily report that Davies does a fantastic job with this cliffhanger! It makes you want to read the second book, and you're in a state of shock for minutes! Love it! A Beautiful Dark radiates with its haunting beauty and stellar high notes. 

Overall, A Beautiful Dark is a standout debut that had me on the edge of my seat and dying to know what would happen next! A brilliant start to a promising trilogy!

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad