Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Brad About Books: Pulse by Kailin Gow

Read on May 22, 2013
PULSE
Published: August 31, 2010
Publisher: The Edge
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 214 pages
Source: Library
Series: Pulse, #1

17 year-old Kalina didn't know her boyfriend was a vampire until the night he died of a freak accident. She didn't know he came from a long line of vampires until the night she was visited by his half-brothers Jaegar and Stuart Greystone. There were a lot of secrets her boyfriend didn't tell her. Now she must discover them in order to keep alive. But having two half-brothers vampires around had just gotten interesting.


Going into Pulse, I expected a light, quick and fun vampire read with a fast-paced plot and a great ensemble of characters. Unfortunately, that was not what I got. Pulse is a slow-building book with a main character who got on my last nerve. I really, really wanted to like this book, but in the end, it was just an okay read.

My major problem with Pulse was the protagonist, Kalina. I couldn't stand her from the first chapter, and I couldn't stand her for the entire book! I have no idea what happened, but Kalina and I never connected. I thought she was whiny, self-centered and too naïve. I just couldn't like her character. And I could be wrong about this, but was there a love square in this book? Oh boy - I didn't like that either. Too many boys were all over this not-very-interesting girl, and I just didn't believe in any of the romances. And I could almost see a love pentagon forming. Why were Jaegar and Stuart in love with her? I have no clue - I just don't get it whatsoever.

The plot was interesting, thankfully. This was the redeeming part of Pulse - I was interested in what happened to Aaron and exploring why all these vampires wanted Kalina. But then again, aren't vampires suppose to be scary? Yes, we've all heard about the sparkling vampire, but I felt like in this situation, Pulse should have had terrifying, frightening vampires who give no mercy. If they did have that, I would have definitely gave Pulse another star. Unfortunately, they did not - which is a sad shame, really. I was so excited to read this book, and it totally let me down.

That ending was definitely intriguing, but I didn't feel satisfied with that conclusion. I felt like this book was way too short and didn't give a good ending. I am curious to see what happens in the second book, Life's Blood, but I have no clue when I'll get to it or if I even will. Pulse was just such a disappointment.

Overall, Pulse let me down. I wanted a great fast-paced, thrilling paranormal story - in the end, this book just wasn't for me.

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad