Monday, June 24, 2013

Brad About Books: Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Read from June 16 to 17, 2013
JULIET IMMORTAL
Published: August 9, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Press (Random House)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 306 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Juliet Immortal, #1

Fans of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush will relish this intense paranormal love story featuring Romeo and Juliet, literary history's most tragic couple, who meet again, not as true lovers, but truly as enemies.
The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.



Juliet Immortal is a wildly romantic and highly heart-racing, pulse-pounding tale of true love and heartbreaking betrayal. It's impossible to put it down!

I'll begin on a positive note: what did I like about Juliet Immortal? Numerous things, thankfully! My favorite part about this novel was the entire concept - I will admit, it was pretty risky and daring to have a story where Juliet and Romeo aren't in love (I was hesitant going into Juliet Immortal for that reason alone.), but luckily, Stacey Jay manages to pull it off. I didn't get at some parts why Romeo and Juliet were constantly fighting, but it was most definitely entertaining. And I loved the setting - the way Jay described it sounded stunning! Even though I am definitely not a huge fan of Romeo and Juliet any, Juliet Immortal takes a unique spin on the timeless, starcrossed tale and breathes new life into it. So epic!

Now for a slight downfall: what did I not like about Juliet Immortal? Unfortunately, I ran into some problems with it. The characters felt WAY too whiny at some parts. I'd say that Juliet - maybe Romeo - was the biggest problem. I felt like they had too many mixed emotions and feelings for each other, and I couldn't keep up with the jumbled signals. 

But the ending did redeem (ha! A pun on the sequel's title!) Juliet Immortal for me. It was fast-paced, shocking, twisty, and so good. I didn't see that ending coming, and I am definitely intrigued to see where the story will be taken to next!

Overall, Juliet Immortal was a good read, but not one of my favorites. Charming, delightful, and bursting with love at the seems, Juliet Immortal shimmers and glows bright in this dark and captivating story!

M Y     R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad