Sunday, September 29, 2013

Brad About Books: The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

Read on April 28, 2013
THE GIRL WHO FELL BENEATH FAIRYLAND AND LED THE REVELS THERE
Published: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 258 pages
Source: RAK
Series: Fairyland, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There is a highly addictive and brilliant sequel that builds upon the magical world masterfully created by Valente. I can't express how much I adored this novel!

World-building is the biggest part of a story for me. I love everything of how an author can weave together an eccentric, lush, and rich world, then play upon it in a sequel. I thought that the world was already amazing in book one, but woah, it got ten times better in The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There! We get to see the mirror, sinister underworld of Fairyland, and I loved getting to see and explore the differences and contrasts between both Fairylands. Catherynne M. Valente did an exceptional job with expanding upon the epic world of Fairyland, and it was definitely my favorite part of the whole book. A new favorite book of mine! Love this series!

"Shadows are the other side of yourself." In The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, we explore Fairyland Below, the place which shadows (mirrors, basically, of Fairyland residents) live. And the ruthless Hollow Queen, Halloween, just happens to be our protagonist's shadow. Any adventure with September is grand and fantastic, but seeing the depths of Fairyland Below with her was awesome. And I hate to say, but I loved Halloween! Wicked and lost, Halloween definitely left a mark on me after finishing this phenomenal sequel. The characters are truly stunning. They're all unique and wonderful, with a dash of snark and adventure. Valente has created a masterpiece of a series that shouldn't be missed; readers of any age will devour this series whole.

Adventure! Fast-paced scenes! Tension-filled moments! What more can you ask of in a middle grade? We all know of the dreaded Sequel Syndrome - in which a sequel doesn't live up to book one's epic-ness - but The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There most definitely veered away from the SS. Everything about this second novel was compelling, captivating, and always kept my eyes on the page, turning pages as fast as I could. A marvelous gem amongst middle grade.

Overall, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There is a brilliant and incredible addition to a fantastic series. Rich, compelling, and deeply enticing, I couldn't put this book down!

M Y    R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad