Friday, September 13, 2013

Brad About Books: Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff

Read from August 31 to September 1, 2013
KINSLAYER
Expected Publication Date: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books (St. Martin's Press)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 432 pages
Source: Publisher
Series: The Lotus War, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, Stormdancer.

Kinslayer is a powerful, satisfying follow-up to one of the best fantasies I've ever read. Jay Kristoff's phenomenal series packs a punch and never lets up. A must-read for fantasy fanatics!

Let me explain this series in a nutshell: dystopian Japanese steampunk. A girl with a thunder tiger fighting against the government. Who in the world wouldn't want to be invested in that world?! And Jay Kristoff builds upon the already awesome world even more in this epic sequel. I always talk about the dreaded "Sequel Syndrome" - in which, a sequel falls flat compared to book one - but I am thrilled to report that it passed over Kinslayer's head! It packs a hard punch, and the action scenes are superb. With so much mysterious and tension, Kinslayer is impossible to put down. Jay Kristoff has done it again!

Let all us talk about the awesomeness that is the duo of Yukiko and Buruu. They have quickly become one of my favorite pairs in any book; they compliment and contrast each other so perfectly, and they work together so well. Their bonds are really tested in Kinslayer, but Kristoff does a phenomenal job at giving each character their own spotlight, then merging the epic duo together on the battlefield. They're honestly my favorite part about the Lotus War series; they're some of the best characters ever written. Absolutely phenomenal!

That ending. I can't even process it! If you thought the ending of Stormdancer was crazy, you haven't seen anything yet. When I said that this sequel packs a punch, I mean it so much. There are so many twists and turns you will never see coming in Kinslayer, and after I read the last chapter, my mouth was hanging open. It tormented me, fractured me, and completely shattered my reading world. Definitely one of the best endings I've ever read. More please!

Overall, Kinslayer is a revolutionizing story in the fantasy genre that will leave fans begging for more. Epic beyond belief! So amazing!

M Y    R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad