Saturday, February 9, 2013

Brad About Books: The Diviners by Libba Bray

THE DIVINERS
Published: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 592 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Diviners, #1

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.



THE DIVINERS is an eerie and outstanding readers that will keep readers enthralled by the fun and fluffy era of the '20's that Libba Bray captured, but also terrify them late into the night with the haunting moments of terror and Naughty John.

Evie! Oh my, she is just a ball of fun! She made me fall in love with the story right from page one, simply because the way she acts and speaks is lighthearted and filled with joy. But Evie does have her moments where she can throw tantrums or even worse, can let the dark side of her show its true colors. And believe me, Evie definitely develops and progresses throughout the entire book. 

Speaking of dark characters, can we talk about Naughty John? Be prepared to feel shivers crawl up your skin and your head start spinning when you first meet Naughty John. Libba Bray did a fantastic job at creating this villain. Things I look for in villains in YA are very particular, and for the majority of the time, those expectations aren't met. I look for someone who is plain scary - a villain whose chapters I don't look forward to, yet continue to read on; I also look for someone with a unique background/backstory that makes them even more terrifying. Don't even get me started on villains being love interests. That is a simple no from me.

And Naughty John met all of those expectations. I was scared of him from the first moment we meet him, and all the way up to the end scene, he continued to get scarier and scarier. Which how is that even possible? It's because Libba Bray is a master at historical fiction and excellent villains. And THE DIVINERS is proof of that.


Two words: Warehouse scene.
Wait till you read that scene. 
I guarantee nightmares.


My slight problem with THE DIVINERS would have to be a few scenes with some particular characters that sometimes didn't capture me. Memphis was one that I thought was great at some times, then really whiny in other parts. But that would have to be my only complaint, because other than that, THE DIVINERS stands out from any other book. I felt as if I was in 1926 with these characters - although, I wouldn't ever go into this world. There are some insane things that happen in THE DIVINERS.

And don't be intimidated by the length of this book! 592 pages does seem like a lot, but it goes by so, so fast. 

Overall, THE DIVINERS is a great read that I would recommend reading on a sunny day in the park or by candlelight in the dead of night. Other than my one problem with the book, THE DIVINERS is one not to be missed.

M Y   R A T I N G:





2 comments:

  1. BRAD!
    I am so glad you finally read this one! Was my favourite of last year :) AGREE about the Warehouse Scene!! ERMERGERD nightmares galore!
    Soo gladd you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SIOBHAN! Loved The Diviners! *shivers about Warehouse scene* xD

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad