Thursday, February 28, 2013

Brad About Books: Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality by Elizabeth Eulberg

REVENGE OF THE GIRL WITH THE GREAT PERSONALITY
Expected Publication Date: March 1, 2013
Publisher: Point (Scholastic)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 261 pages
Source: Publisher

A hilarious new novel from Elizabeth Eulberg about taking the wall out of the wallflower so she can bloom.

Don't mess with a girl with a Great Personality.

Everybody loves Lexi. She's popular, smart, funny...but she's never been one of those girls, the pretty ones who get all the attention from guys. And on top of that, her seven-year-old sister, Mackenzie, is a terror in a tiara, and part of a pageant scene where she gets praised for her beauty (with the help of fake hair and tons of makeup).

Lexi's sick of it. She's sick of being the girl who hears about kisses instead of getting them. She's sick of being ignored by her longtime crush, Logan. She's sick of being taken for granted by her pageant-obsessed mom. And she's sick of having all her family's money wasted on a phony pursuit of perfection.

The time has come for Lexi to step out from the sidelines. Girls without great personalities aren't going to know what hit them. Because Lexi's going to play the beauty game - and she's in it to win it.


First off, thank you so much Scholastic for sending me an ARC of this novel!

Hilarious and witty, Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality is a quick read about breaking out of your shell.

I read and loved Elizabeth Eulberg's Take a Bow last year - I thought it was amazing and stunning and in all ways, fantastic. I had some... different feelings with her latest book. I thought that the story would focus mainly on getting revenge on those who wronged you and blooming out of your wallflower. But what I got was a lot of pageant scenes and snobby, little girls. It just wasn't what I was expecting, so it definitely gave me some trouble.

But that doesn't take away from Eulberg's comedic writing style. She has such a witty and funny way of stringing words together and the remarks that characters make to each other. That's the biggest reason why I love her books - her writing style is so uplifting and energetic. I can't get enough of it!

Lexi was a great protagonist. I felt for her in her pain of being pushed aside by her family, and I really felt bad for her. Every time something bad would happen, I would cringe. Lexi was a stunning protagonist! But Lexi's mom and her little sister Mac? Not so much. I understand that Mac was a seven-year-old beauty queen and will be snotty by all means, but gosh, Lexi's mom was the definition of awful. I understood where she was coming at a times, but I never liked her character.

And I guess the main thing I had trouble with was the fact that it wasn't what I expecting. It was a bit too fluffy and not-my-style, but I did enjoy parts. So overall, I would definitely recommend Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality if you're looking for some fun in your reading! Elizabeth Eulberg has spun out another fantastic contemporary.

MY RATING



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad