Saturday, February 2, 2013

Brad About Books: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

OUT OF THE EASY
Expected Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Publisher: Philomel (Penguin)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 348 pages
Source: Given a copy

It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street.

Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.



Decisions shape our destiny...

OUT OF THE EASY is a rich and beautiful novel that will shatter your heart and mend it back together. I  couldn't put down this work of literary art!

I think the thing that I connected so much to with OUT OF THE EASY was Josie, our main character. She longed to break free of the chains of her town, and I really felt for her. She's a character that is so easy (no pun intended) to cheer for. And not only Josie, they are so many lovable characters! Cokie was such a great character; in fact, all of the characters are well-rounded and so developed.

The writing style was mesmerizing. I was in a huge reading slump when I started this (then again, I was finishing up the first draft of my NaNoWriMo novel!), but OUT OF THE EASY sucked me out of the slump immediately. Sepetys has a way with words that invited me into the world, but didn't let me leave until the novel ended. The setting against the backdrop of the French Quarter blew my mind; I loved learning about this town and walking around with the characters in it!

And gosh, Ruta is a master at breaking a person's heart. Not even kidding. Josie is in such a bad situation, and readers will definitely fall for Josie. Plus, something happens close to the end of the book that made my jaw fall open. It was so brutal and so sad.

But still, I will push both of Ruta Sepetys's books onto anybody. I'm not a big historical reader, but Ruta has restored my faith in historical books! Both of her novels made my Top 12 Books of 2012 list, and I highly recommend both of them! Just be prepared for the tears to flow. It is guaranteed to happen.

Overall, OUT OF THE EASY is my absolute favorite historical novel ever; it's wonderful, fantastic, and powerful. I loved how it taught the lesson of decisions truly do shape our destiny, and I loved everything about this novel in general. This is one book that should definitely be on your radar!

M Y   R A T I N G:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad