Monday, February 11, 2013

Brad About Books: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

SHATTER ME
Published: November 15, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 338 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Shatter Me, #1

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


SHATTER ME  is a mind-bending and mind-blowing read that made me think of what a difference a person can make in a life and how fighting back is always worth it. I loved it. I adored it.

I fell in love with Juliette from the very first page. Her situation that she was in made me connect with her instantly, and I felt so bad for her. It was one of the moments where I actually wanted to reach into the book and be her friend. Then again, I don't want to die. Sorry, Juliette. But still, Tahereh Mafi did a fantastic job at making Juliette a strong, yet broken (in a good way), character.

The writing style was brilliant and one of a kind! Never before have I seen strikethroughs in a book. What's unique about them being in SHATTER ME is that the strikethroughs represent either what Juliette is thinking or what she wishes she could have said. It's really cool. It's extremely amazing.

And the way that Juliette evolved into a more fiercer and stronger person as the book progressed stunned me, simply because she becomes that strong. What's up with Warner? He's such an evil and twisted human being, and I don't understand why in the world some people really like him. I would absolutely hate to be Warner. Adam is also a really cool character and one I could see being that awesome best friend that everybody needs.

The entire storyline of Juliette's lethal touch was epic too. This is also another case of something I have never seen done in a YA novel before, and I have to give huge props to the author for making such an original novel. Tired of reading the same stuff that's been done over and over again? Then SHATTER ME is a must read.

Overall, SHATTER ME is fantastic in every way possible and has landed on my favorite books list. It's amazing. IT'S GENIUS.

M Y    R A T I N G :


1 comment:

  1. Brad I ADORED Juliette too! I even considered naming my goldfish after her! Juliette and Warner..lolz but Hewie, Dewie, and Lewie won out.
    Have you read Unravel Me yet? I got it around Christmas but havent gotten to it :( I am nervous because 2nd books can go either way.
    I loved Wither by Lauren Destefano and am liking Fever (the 2nd in series) a bit better. You never know.
    Thank you for the wonderful review. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad