Monday, May 20, 2013

Brad About Books: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Read on May 2, 2013
I AM NUMBER FOUR
Published: August 3, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 440 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Lorien Legacies, #1

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books - but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.



I had troubles with I Am Number Four. While the plot sounded epic, the pacing of the book was too slow for me.

Let me start by saying that this plot sounds amazing in every way possible. I was so excited going into I Am Number Four - I mean, judging from the synopsis, who wouldn't be? I expected a fast-paced, on-the-run story like no other, and I wanted it to be great. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. While I Am Number Four does have some redeeming qualities, the plot moved way too slow. I found that some chapters would have no meaning to the actual story, and I caught myself drifting off. To be honest, I just don't see how a book that has such an interesting premise can move so slowly.

But like I said, I Am Number Four did have some redeeming qualities.  The last fifty pages were very fast-paced, and I couldn't put the book down. And besides that, the character of Four (or John Smith) was very awesome - on the run and on the loose, I loved getting to travel along with him as he fights for his life. The antagonists are so freaky in this book! I couldn't get a clear picture of them in my mind, but believe me, they sounded awful. Even though I thought I Am Number Four was just okay, I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen in The Power of Six.

I've noticed that aliens are becoming a new trend (even though this book was published in 2010), and while the whole "alien" aspect wasn't explored on that much, it was still interesting to take on this perspective of aliens. I just hated the plot moved so slow - I couldn't stand it at times! The end did make up some for it, but in the end, I just don't think me and I Am Number Four clicked well.

Overall, I Am Number Four is a decent read that held my attention and had me on the edge of my seat at times, then had me distracted and dozing off at others.

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad