Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Brad About Books: Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley

Read on May 9, 2013
PRETTY GIRL-13
Published: March 19, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (Harper)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 344 pages
Source: Won in contest

Reminiscent of the Elizabeth Smart case, Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing and powerful psychological mystery about a girl who must piece together the story of her kidnapping and captivity.

Angie Chapman was thirteen years old when she ventured into the woods alone on a Girl Scouts camping trip. Now she's returned home…only to find that it's three years later and she's sixteen-or at least that's what everyone tells her.

What happened to the past three years of her life?

Angie doesn't know.

But there are people who do — people who could tell Angie every detail of her forgotten time, if only they weren't locked inside her mind. With a tremendous amount of courage, Angie embarks on a journey to discover the fragments of her personality, otherwise known as her "alters." As she unearths more and more about her past, she discovers a terrifying secret and must decide: When you remember things you wish you could forget, do you destroy the parts of yourself that are responsible?

Liz Coley's alarming and fascinating psychological mystery is a disturbing - and ultimately empowering page-turner about accepting our whole selves, and the healing power of courage, hope, and love.



Pretty Girl-13 is a haunting, chilling read that had me spooked from page one. Riveting and frightening real, Pretty Girl-13 takes scary to a whole new level.

It took me a little bit to get into the story, mainly because I couldn't figure out what in the world was going on. But once you get a sense of what Angie went through, the story opens up whole - this book is terrifying! Pretty Girl-13 had me on the edge of my seat and biting at my fingernails, simply because it's so scary and so real. I haven't ever read a kidnapping book, but after reading Pretty Girl-13, I honestly don't think any of them could compare. This book set the bar so high in my mind, because it's just so freaky and real. I was creeped out of my mind, but I adored every minute of it. 

Angie was a stunning character all around. She has a broken and haunted past, but she can't remember any of it - how cool is that?! And freaky. I loved being inside her head while she tries to unravel this mystery, and this mystery is so insane. Coley has spun out one of the most original and unique novels I have ever read - you will never find a book like Pretty Girl-13. It shines.

The mysterious letter and just the mystery of itself makes this novel completely. I think that the letter were my most favorite part about Pretty Girl-13. They were so scary and eerie to read, learning about Angie's past. This novel is just brilliant. While it does take sometime to get invested into the story, once you're in, you're never out.

Overall, Pretty Girl-13 is an original and brilliant novel bursting with chilling scenes and climatic, thrilling moments. This book will keep you up late at night and checking behind your shoulder at all times -  it has that affect.

M Y   R A T I N G

1 comment:

  1. Great review! It sounds intersesting and creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad