Saturday, May 4, 2013

Brad About Books: The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

Read from April 12 to 13, 2013
THE LOST CODE
Published: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (Harper)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 435 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: The Atlanteans, #1


In the year 2086, Camp Eden promises summer “the way things used to be,” back before the oceans rose, the sun became a daily enemy, and modern civilization sank into chaos. Located inside the EdenWest BioDome, the camp is an oasis of pine trees, cool water, and rustic charm.

But all at Camp Eden is not what it seems.No one will know this better than 15-year-old Owen Parker. A strange underwater vision, even stranger wounds on Owen’s neck, and a cryptic warning from the enchanting lifeguard Lilly hint at a mystery that will take Owen deep beneath Lake Eden and even deeper into the past. What he discovers could give him the chance to save the tattered planet. But first, Owen will have to escape Camp Eden alive…

The Lost Code is an energetic, thrilling read that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This book shines out!

What I love the most about The Lost Code is the world-building. The world has basically been torn-apart, but this book isn't totally dystopian. I loved reading the descriptions of this pretty much wasteland of a world (oceans rising, the sun a deadly enemy). It was simply awesome! Plus, Camp Eden is cool. I love anything to do with water, and since the camp and this book is centered around water, The Lost Code and I were a perfect match. 

The plot was so interesting as well. It did start off a bit slow and confusing, but after chapter two, I was ready to go. I love the idea of a dystopian/post-apocalytpic world where a society is trying to find Atlantis. And Emerson pulled off the plot flawlessly. I was hooked in and intrigued with every page, and believe me when I say that there are twists in The Lost Code that I didn't see coming! My jaw fell open especially during the final 30 pages. I can't wait to see what will happen in the sequel, The Dark Shore!

And the characters were great! Owen was a fantastic protagonist. Strong, determined and fighting for survival, he's everything you'd want in a book. And Lilly was amazing! She annoyed me at first, but as the novel progresses, we get to understand her more. I truly connected to her character, and I love it when an author can create a character with so much emotion!

Overall, The Lost Code is a standout read for 2013. If you're looking for an adventure like no other, this is a must read!

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad