Friday, March 29, 2013

Brad About Books: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

THE GATHERING
Published: April 12, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 359 pages
Source: Bookstore
Series: Darkness Rising, #1

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island. Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The Gathering , New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy.



The Gathering is an excellently crafted novel that promises to be the start in an epic trilogy. I couldn't get enough of this story!

I had a bit of trouble getting into this one at first: it was a little confusing, and I couldn't keep up with the events. But after about page 50, something major happens. I connected with the story then, and from that point on, I couldn't control myself from reading The Gathering so quickly! It was a stellar and superb paranormal romance.

And Maya was such a great protagonist. She wasn't whiny or a complainer, and she was determined to save herself and her friends. Daniel and Rafe were also great characters; they both complimented Maya and balanced her out. Armstrong's writing style gave me chills with its creepiness and the eerie mood surrounding it, but also gave me an insight into this world that I have never read about it - which was really awesome.

The folklore in The Gathering was really interesting to read about! When I found out what kind of creatures are filled in this novel (I won't say, because it's a spoiler), I thought it was super cool! I had never read about these creatures before, and Kelley Armstrong did a great job at tackling these supernatural beings!

Overall, The Gathering was different and haunting read. Chilling and epic, The Gathering is one of a kind!

MY RATING



2 comments:

  1. I read this one last year and enjoyed it a lot, as it's set in BC (I live just outside of Vancouver) and I could relate to some of the weather details and jokes. I agree, it was definitely a cool folklore! I haven't read The Calling yet, but hope to soon! Great review, Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I started this about a year ago, but couldn't get into it so I stopped pretty early on. I am definitely going to pick it up again soon now! Thanks for the review!! (:

    Haley @ YA-Aholic

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad