Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Brad About Books: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Read from October 1 to October 3, 2012
SISTERS RED
Published: June 7, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 328 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: Fairytale Retellings, #1

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Sisters Red is the only book I've ever re-read, which is pretty epic. What's also epic is that this novel is phenomenal. A masterfully-done retelling, Jackson Pearce has created a lush and vibrant world that is one of my favorite books of all time.

The two sisters are simply brilliant. I love how we get the best of both worlds with this duo. They each have their strong points and weakness, and although they are totally different, Scarlett and Rosie balance each other out in incredible ways. Scarlett is the tough side of the sisters: the muscles and the fierce. But I think I connected to Rosie more; she's the soft and sweet sister that only does this for her sister, but she has a gentle heart, which I love. Pearce did an amazing job at crafting these two sisters, and she couldn't have done it any better. Mind equals blown.

Looking for non-stop action? Sisters Red has you covered. There is almost always an action scene going on, and there is never a dull moment in this book. I was always intrigued and hooked, and when the action scenes came around, I was flying through the pages. It definitely impressed me of how the action scenes played out: lots of fighting and action, little description. Because let's face it: you don't want too many descriptions of how the wall felt when you knocked your head against it, or how the wolf's fur felt when it brushed against your skin. It was always bang bang bang with the action, which is another key part of why I love this novel.

And the writing was gorgeous! Jackson Pearce put a spin on these words that blew my mind and enticed me into the story even more. I was scared about ripping a page, because I was turning the page so quickly! I couldn't get enough of this novel, even the second time around.

Overall, Sisters Red is an absolute must-read, fairytale fan or not. Captivating and fantastic, you definitely do not want to miss this novel.

M Y   R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad