Saturday, April 20, 2013

Brad About Books: All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Read from July 6 to 8, 2012
ALL THESE THINGS I'VE DONE
Published: May 8, 2012 (paperback)
Publisher: Square Fish (Macmillan)
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 354 pages
Source: Parnassus Books
Series: Birthright, #1

In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.


All These Things I've Done is a fast-paced, magnificent novel of a daring and fierce heroine and fighting for the ones you love. I absolutely adore this book.

I must start off this review by saying that Anya is one of the strongest, toughest, and most dynamic character developments I have ever read. Right from the first page, I knew I was going to like Anya. But when I finished this book, I realized that I loved Anya's character and everything about her. I felt bad for her with all the struggles and conflicts going on in her life, and I was rooting for her the entire way. I was always connected to her storyline, and Gabrielle Zevin did a marvelous job at making such a great protagonist!

A world where chocolate and caffeine are illegal? How about no. I wouldn't classify All These Things I've Done as dystopian specifically - mainly because their is no overbearing or wicked government for the entire book - but there are definitely traces of some sci-fi/dystopian elements. But really, All These Things I've Done shouts a melody of things in my mind, and it's one of the main reasons that I love this book. It stands out so much, and it's hard to find a book like it (I don't think there is one!). 

And this novel played out like a movie in my head. I mean, a strong protagonist sneaking around in a mafia-filled family while trying to figure out the curious incident of her family's past? Yes please. All These Things I've Done was one of my absolute favorite novels of 2012, and I still think about it to this today! I'm so happy I read this book, and if you haven't picked up this book, you must.

Overall, All These Things I've Done is a mind-blowing, mind-bending read that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Phenomenal!

M Y   R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad