Monday, April 15, 2013

Brad About Books: The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

Read on March 25, 2013
THE LAST ECHO
Published: April 17, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 358 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: The Body Finder, #3

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't started this series.

The Last Echo is another fantastic installment in this brilliant series. Kimberly Derting has done it again!

I read this novel within five hours. It was absolutely stunning. The Body Finder series is one of my favorites; murder mystery mixed with supernatural elements? Yes please. It may sound a bit crazy by the synopsis, but these novels are always pulled off masterfully, and I adore these books so much!

Violet is an amazing protagonist. She's always fierce and strong and never afraid to speak her mind. And let's be honest, when you can hear the dead calling out to you, you'd have to be pretty strong not to go insane. But Violet is one of a kind. Her character growth, especially in The Last Echo, is brilliant. Derting has a way of crafting her characters together and weaving them with pieces of heroism and amazing qualities.

Murder mysteries are always fast-paced and fun, and the Body Finder series is no exception. I always get sucked into the story right away, and I can never manage to put them down! My mind has to know what's going to happen next! And Kimberly Derting is a master of surprise - loads of things I didn't see coming popped up in The Last Echo, which makes it clear in my mind that this is definitely the best book out of the series so far. (Can't wait to pick up Dead Silence tomorrow!)

If you don't know, each Body Finder novel has chapters, usually around two to six pages, told in an alternative point-of-view, usually of the antagonist, and you don't discover who's mind you're in until towards the end of the book. It is without a doubt in my mind that The Last Echo has the most terrifying and frightening alternate-POV yet. It's scary because of the state of madness that this person has been driven to -- and I loved it. Seriously, pick up these books if you haven't yet!

Overall, The Last Echo is phenomenal. Kimberly Derting and her novels have left a mark on the YA mystery genre! I devoured this book in one sitting, and I never wanted it to end!

MY RATING

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad