Saturday, April 6, 2013

Brad About Books: Soldier Dog by Sam Angus

Read from March 27 to 31, 2013
SOLDIER DOG
Expected Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 256 pages
Source: Publisher

With his older brother gone to fight in the Great War, and his father prone to sudden rages, 14-year-old Stanley devotes himself to taking care of the family’s greyhound and puppies. Until the morning Stanley wakes to find the puppies gone.
 
Determined to find his brother, Stanley runs away to join an increasingly desperate army. Assigned to the experimental War Dog School, Stanley is given a problematic Great Dane named Bones to train. Against all odds, the pair excels, and Stanley is sent to France. 

But the war in France is larger and more brutal than Stanley ever imagined. How can one young boy survive and find his brother with only a dog to help?



A beautiful and heartbreaking story, Soldier Dog is the perfect book about loyalty and love. I couldn't help but fall deep in love with this book.

I'm a huge lover of dogs, so putting that element into Soldier Dog was extraordinary for me. And the love and friendship between Stanley and Bones was fantastic. Angus has crafted together a marvelous story that I couldn't put down - I had to know what was going to happen to our beloved characters! And let me forewarn you that this book is a tear-jerker, but gosh, it was super good.

But my complaint about this novel was the beginning. I do have to admit that I was gripped into the story immediately. It took about 40 or so pages for the story to get going and for me to connect. But once it did get going, I was emerged into the story. Stanley was such a great character, just because of the love for his family that fills him whole. I can't deny that he was an excellent character!

And like I said before, prepare tissues when you read Soldier Dog. Because they are going to be a must-need. I didn't cry, but I definitely felt sad and almost lost it during one scene! But you must read this book - you won't regret it at all.

Overall, Soldier Dog was slow, but built up to a wonderful story of love and redemption. Fantastic and magnificent, I loved every bit of this book!

MY RATING

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad